Explic8 is a boutique consultancy who specialise in specific sectors in the form of Value Streams
- Medical Devices
- Combination Products
- Pharmacovigilance and Drug Safety
Manufacturing and Supply Chain
- Lean Manufacturing
- 6-Sigma Process Management
- Warehousing & Logistics
- Global Networks Optimisations
Technology Partnerships (Digital Enablers)
- MRPeasy, ERP Software Partnerships
- KaizApp, Digital Enabler to Improve Continuous Improvement Sustainability
We are seeking to recruit a candidate of suitable caliber to assume the part-time position of Financial Controller / Internal Accountant. The work will be undertaken remotely and will entail assisting the CEO with day-to-day running of operations and systems.
- Monthly financial tracking of actuals against forecast
- Cash management and forecasting
- Check and maintain time sheets of all employees on a monthly basis
- Review and approve employees’ expenses
- Raising invoices in line with contracted terms and distributing to clients
- Tracking customer payments against invoices and chasing any overdue debt
- Uploading creditor invoices and managing payments
- Reconciliation of bank accounts on a monthly basis
- Managing the payroll cycle and payments at the end of month
- Ensuring correct submissions and payments to HMRC for VAT, NI and PAYE
- Checking we are compliant with the pension scheme and the correct payments are being made
- Overseeing the forecasting cycles with the senior leadership team
- Ensuring data is consistent between company systems
Preferred Candidate Profile
- Competent individual with previous accounting experience
- Good technical skills on Excel and PowerPoint
- Previous experience on Harvest and QuickBooks is preferred but not essential (online training courses will be available on both)
- Good communication skills
- Comfortable working with senior leadership teams
- Ability to analyse data and spot trends
- Willingness to improve and grow alongside an expanding team/company
- Competitive market salary
- Part time roll – c20 hours per week to begin with
- Remote working would be preferred
- Ability to progress into a full-time role if desired
Further detailed information on responsibilities
Monthly financial tracking of actuals against forecast
It would be expected that you would report back on variances against forecast on a monthly basis. This will involve retrieving actual figures achieved from Quickbooks and running variance analysis to compare to the forecast. It would be expected that you flag any unusual variances and understand the movements.
Cash management and forecasting
Track the cash balance in the month to make sure you understand any movements and produce a high-level cash flow forecast to flag any upcoming cash constraint issues to the senior leadership team.
Check and maintain time sheets of all employees on a monthly basis
Employees and sub-contractors complete weekly time sheets to record their hours (billable and non-billable) in an on-line system called “Harvest”. Designated project managers authorise time sheets for employees and sub-contractors on their projects. These time sheets form the basis of our invoicing process. Harvest sends out reminders to users to complete their time sheets.
Review and approve employees’ expenses
Employees and sub-contractors also record their expenses in “Harvest”.
Employees are paid their expenses on the third day of the month after the month in which the expenses were incurred.
Sub-contractors include their expenses in an invoice which are paid (usually at the end of the month when the invoice is paid).
There are on-line training courses available for Harvest.
Raising invoices in line with contracted terms and distributing to clients
Invoices are usually completed and distributed at the end of each month but some American clients prefer to be invoiced twice monthly on the 15th of the month and again at the end of the month.
For invoicing we use “QuickBooks”.
We use the billable hours and expenses from Harvest to compile the invoices. The data needs to be consistent between Harvest and QuickBooks to make the job easier.
There are on-line training courses available for QuickBooks.
Tracking customer payments against invoices and chasing any overdue debt
Keeping up to date with all invoice due dates and calling up clients to chase payment if any debts become overdue.
Uploading creditor invoices and managing payments
All Invoices Payable are uploaded into QuickBooks.
Sub-contractors include their expenses in an invoice.
Our normal payment terms are 30 days (although there is the odd exception).
Some incoming invoices are paid on direct debit, some are paid regularly from the credit card account.
Reconciliation of bank accounts on a monthly basis
We have different bank accounts for sterling and foreign currency which we use to pay people in different currencies. We will have to discuss with you how we manage the bank accounts.
Managing the payroll cycle and payments at the end of month
Our accountants send the payslips through to us for payment to employees on the 27th of each month.
Ensuring correct submissions and payments to HMRC for VAT, NI and PAYE
NI – Our accountants send the NI payment instructions through to us for payment on the 15th of each month.
VAT – We use “QuickBooks” for VAT quarterly reconciliation. VAT No: 331 8261 20
We run a pension scheme administered at http://www.nestpensions.org.uk
We have little involvement with this, our accountants tend to look after it for us.
Overseeing the forecasting cycles with the senior leadership team
We normally run forecast cycles on a quarterly / yearly basis.
We already have an excel forecast model built but it would be expected that you take ownership of this and continually improve the model whilst updating for each forecasting cycle.
The forecasting cycle will involve you liaising with senior leadership to understand the expected levels of sales and costs over the forecast period.
Ensuring data is consistent between company systems
Ideally you will already be familiar with Harvest and QuickBooks, but online training courses will be available if not.
We would also provide other formal training relevant to the role if you would like to take the courses.